Monday 1 July 2013

Just a tiny update!

Well its been a few months since I've had an opportunity to get some solid work done on the modelling front! Alas, I have returned with news on a few little projects that I have been working on! 

Well to kick things off! Here's a project that I've been dreaming up over the past few years. It may not look like it but its designing and building my own custom 'city scape'. Although it looks rather small at the moment I wanted to start small, work out the kinks and hone my skills. All rather trial and error at this stage but I like to live by the Seven P's, Proper Prier Preparations Prevent Piss Poor Performances! So, without further ado here's a picture showing the early designing phase of my city. 

The two M1's that I used to help figure out the correct scale of the buildings. More significantly, notice the 'seawall' that took a hell of a lot of ballast to build!  

 Early phase buildings, not even glued together. Here I have a two and three story buildings. I decided to use mounting card as a friend had a truck load left over from his picture framing business! 

Here's my first acceptable building. I've added a little air con unit on top, I must have salvaged it from an old Airfix kit! Little shout out to Allen Rockwell of Game Craft Miniatures, thanks for recommending the tacky glue, works a treat when joining the card. There's a link to his website on the right hand side of the page! Furthermore, as well as his superb line of buildings and miniatures I would like to recommend his YouTube page, which serves as a great source of expertise and inspiration! Hoofing! A little side note, wondering if we could get Game Craft Miniatures supplied to UK stores such as War games Emporium or Magister Militum, just saying GHQ and CinC do it, hope you get that message Mr. Rockwell! 

THe building on the right has a base layer on and is ready for some details to be painted on. Hopefully later on I'll be able to cut out windows and doorways! 

Here I've started the laborious of re-sculpting the fields and surrounding areas!

I've decided not to go to over board with the flock this time! But let me know which affect you prefer! 

Here's  a little concept I've been working on. The FRES fleet of vehicles which will probably be in service by the end of the decade with the British military. If your interested give a quick google search and get back to me with some possible improvements! 


As you can see I'm planning on using the FV 432 Bulldog as the 'bases' for the model! That ERA makes this model undoubtedly one of my favourites! 
 A little close up of some GHQ missiles!
HELP, need suggestions with what to do with this area of this part of the terrain bored! As you can see from the next few pictures, this area is raised! Any ideas would be welcomed!

 Here's the raised area in question, but as you can see, the area to the right is also looking slightly forlorn. Wondering if any of you guys had any thoughts. I've considered anything from a few simple fields, and army base or even a petroleum production facility! I suppose I can put all these onto different bits of car and have interchangeable bits of scenery! Still any other ideas would help the finished product!    

Here's a nice point to reflect upon. You can clearly see here the two distinctly different styles that I used to construct my terrain boards. On the left I used simple layers, which is great for creating raised flat areas. On the right I used a technique which is fast and effective, using scrunched up newspaper and plaster plaster cloth. Sure as hell makes it easier to create a flush finish! However, you can obviously tell which one is more recent! Nice to see I've learnt a thing or to!

Here's the only sniper I could find that GHQ make, its in the IDF Weapons Pack! Looks pretty distinctive! 

Here I've experimented with different base shades of camo. Which one do you think looks better? I think I might keep the pale green as the British MTP and the dark green as US Crye camo!  Even though theres not much difference in real life I think in the war gaming environment it makes it easier to distinguish! Thoughts people, I demand your thoughts! 


Really need to get better at painting flags!! I've got the decals but where's the fun in that!

To finish off, a massive thank you the person who recommended this read! Absolutely riveting in its insight and detail. My hypothetical "International MEU" will be plausible. Think it might be allergic to my RM trophy tanker, but what can I say, I'm British and an aspiring Royal Marine!

5 comments:

  1. Kirean,
    The area that you have indicated with the two small hills, leave as there are... well, put in some scub/bushes, a few trees maybe.... then other area that is flat, put some sort of business(es) there, probably two or three. A diner/lunch place, strip joint, meachanic shop, if you do any sort of strip shopping center, kids day care, a chuch in the shopping center, or bette yet......... a game store....!!!!!

    Good looking stuff, are you sure you are not in the Jacksonville, FL, USA area???? You need to be. Are you building the Aussie with the new stuff. I am.

    I have 20 Bushmasters in Olive drab, need to do another 24 or so in the olive drab, tan, black along with two companies of M1A1 AIM (SA), ASLAV, etc.

    I just finished painting up 3 1/2 companies of LeClerc in NATO 3 tone, some VAB 6x6, HOT, 13 VBCI, 6 AMX 10P as well. Also painted 10 Leopard 2A6, 17 M2A2 Bradley's

    Thank you for posting on GHQ. Like you stuff. I will steal a couple of ideas and tell everyone here that they are mine.

    Chrisswim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well there's plenty of ideas there, thanks Chris. Unfortunately, I'm not Kirean. He's 6mm wargaming... I know, massive difference, but I only found out about his site after I had created mine. Although putting y work in the same league as his is massively generous. If you're ever in England mate, drop me an e-mail. I'd love to build up a European NATO force, as well as an Australian Force. I think if I were to do a NATO army I would probably look to build up a battalion sized force compromised of German and French forces. Having done an armoured warfare module at University I think I have a new found respect for the LeClerc but especially the Leopard 2A6! However, I'm not entirely sure about the ASLAV and the M1A1 AIM, as far as I can see there's not much difference. Glad I've given you some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome blog 6mm Wargamer, I've got orders with the usual suspects, GHQ, H&R, GcM and CiC. The thing I'm stuck on is whether to include Infantry in my game, would you recommend any of those company's figures as I've tried painting Irregular's 6mm infantry (Medieval) to only small success. Keep updating, uni will only get you so far but model wargaming, well the sky's the limit! Regards, David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, thanks. Nice to see a sense of humour. Well I'm sure you've already come to a decision but my thinking is split. If you want a quick hour or two game, then 'vehicle's only' is certainly a good way to go. But if your all about the realism and if you have plenty of time to perfect painting infantry then I would suggest you give it a go. What I do is keep my infantry locked up in their APC's or MRAP's until They can actually be of use. It definitely speeds up the initial phases of the game. What I really should do is mount my infantry to bases to speed up the physical moving of the infantry pieces. Only problem is what happens if you lose say one infantryman in a section. Just looks a bit naff. Hope I've helped. Any further questions I'd be happy to help you out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete